Friday, July 18, 2014

An Ethical Point of View

Ethics are an important thing to me and as I continue to write out my struggles I am learning that I do have strong opinions. Since I have always been a follower of Christ and held to the truth that is in the bible and the rules stated, I think that there is absolute truth. And I know that in my own life, while I may not always do the right thing, I know what the right thing is, or can figure out what it is. Because of this I have never thought that morals change, or that someone can change their opinion on morals. Like I have said before, I am always interested to hear about everyone and their varying opinions on specific issues.
Throughout my life I have been able to talk to people about their personal beliefs and thoughts on various topics. It is interesting to hear all of the varying thoughts and opinions that people have.  There have been times where I feel like I am being singled out on my beliefs because I hold so strongly to what I believe. 
That being said, while I am firm on what I believe, that doesn't mean that I am not willing to take something from what other people say. Some of the best conversations I have ever had have been with people who are completely opposite of me. One thing that I have found as I meet and have conversations with people of different backgrounds, and belief systems, is that people can be very closed minded to another way of thinking that is not their own. There is such a hostility over beliefs and how “right or wrong” other people’s opinions are. It is okay to have a different opinion because through those varying opinions we are able to talk out why we believe certain things. It is however very sad to realize how rare it is becoming to find people who have just thought and spent time figuring out and questioning what they believe. I know that when I was younger I went through a period of questioning my own beliefs and figured out why I believe what I believe. People often say and judge me because of what I believe and I get the opportunity to break the stereotype that is so commonly placed on Christians. By shutting down other people because they don’t hold the beliefs that I do, I am not only hurting them, I am not hurting the ability I have to represent Christ’s love to them. Getting the opportunity to speak up about my beliefs on Thursday was awesome, and even though I stuck out a bit, it was nice to be able to state my opinions. I cannot live in fear to state my opinions or beliefs, but I also have to make sure to not be judgmental when people do not hold to my standards of living. 

No comments:

Post a Comment