Monday, July 21, 2014

Assignment 7.3

Eng101 Topic Exploration Research Question Name: Charissa Paschke


Research Question -How is the value of nonverbal communication within music weighed against the value of verbal?


Answer each question carefully using complete sentences (grammar counts).  Be specific in your reasoning and explanations.

  1. Does the question deal with a topic or issue that interests me enough to spark my own thoughts and opinions? Explain. Yes it does. Music is my passion. It is the most important thing I have the ability to produce, and at this point in my life I can honestly say that without music I wouldn't be the same person I am today. 
  2. Is the question easily and fully researchable? Back up your answer. 
    • Yes I believe the question is easy to understand and very easy to research. Once a general knowledge base has been built, the ability to identify the various types of verbal and nonverbal communication will become easier. 
  3. What type of information do I need to answer the research question?
    • The definition of both verbal and nonverbal communication.
    • A general knowledge of both music and communications. 
    • The opinions and knowledge of the performing arts
  4. Is the scope of this information reasonable? (e.g., can I really research 30 on-line writing programs developed over a span of 10 years?) Explain.
    • Yes you can research music and the amount of verbal and nonverbal communication within. By researching the topic, I believe that the answer becomes very clear.
  5. Given the type and scope of the information that I need, is my question too broad, too narrow, or okay? Explain.
    • I believe that it is a bit too broad. There are several different types of music that I could be talking about. I needed to specify instrumental or vocal. Because when you are dealing with instrumental the amount of verbal communication plummets
  6. What sources will have the type of information that I need to answer the research question (journals, books, internet resources, government documents, people, rock concerts, ethnography)? Be specific.
    • Academic Journals will be the best way to find information that is supported and not just an opinion. There are several music and communication opinion based websites but those once again those are all going to be based on opinions, and in order to get credible material, it has to be supported by someone.
  7. Can I access these sources? Explain.
    • Yes you can access these sources. As an OTC student you thane the ability to access all of the academic journals you could ever need access to on the Otc Library page.
  8. Given my answers to the above questions, do I have a good quality research question that I actually will be able to answer by doing research? Explain why you think this way.
    • Yes I do believe that I have a good question because it is a bit broad but still allows for creativity in the interpretation of the question. I have shown ways that the question can be answered and various ways to find the research.

No comments:

Post a Comment