Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Practice makes perfect...or does it?

Practice, practice, sleep. and more practice. That is the life of a music major summed up in six words.
The need to practice always seems come up at a time that it is the last thing you want to do. To every single musician it is a necessary evil. Growing up my mother always said that the success of a musician is based ten percent on talent, and ninety percent on practice. Practicing is something that can be so hard to do, but needed in order to get the results that are required to be a successful musician. When I was younger I used to dread my practice sessions. Having been through a year as a music major, the practice rooms have become my go to place on campus. Instead of being dreadful and boring, practice has become my time of absolute freedom. I have spent periods of time laying on the floor, jumping up and down, and creating stories that are wrapped around specific songs. While I love both my voice teacher, coach, I have found that not having the structure that they place on my vocalization, has allowed me to truly blossom as an artist. 
Being diligent in my practicing is something that I am still working on becoming. I am realizing that the consistency  I have found is starting to flood into other areas of my life. The lessons and principles I have learned as a music major, are not strictly aimed at music. This realization has taught me to start looking for lessons that could be learned from all of my studies. I hope that as time goes on my passion for music will continue to grow, and that my hate of practicing will continue to diminish. Then I will truly be able to embrace the freedom that practicing provides, and also have learned the lessons I needed to learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment