Friday, July 18, 2014

Sarcastic in Nature


This week I have really been struggling with something that is so very common in society, and even recently has been directed at me.This thing causes people to question people’s motives, wonder what is really meant by their words, and even has gone as far as to ruin relationships. Sarcasm has been causing unneeded strife for century’s. While in past years it might have been directly categorized as snark or straight up rude. It is no longer considered culturally unacceptable. This type of speech has infiltrated every area of our speech. It is used in the social world as excessively as saturated fat in a KFC meal. Sarcasm plainly put is a facade for an insecure person to hide behind. While it might enable a person to get out what they have been meaning to say in a “joking” way, it also causes the object of the joke to wonder the sincerity of what was said.
 When I was younger I would often makes statements that were painfully true, and follow them with a jokingly put,”Just kidding.” It wasn't until my mother confronted me after a simply put joke, that I realized what I was doing would cause people to not want to be around me. She always said, “There is a little bit of truth in everything you say.” From that point on her words finally stuck to me and have been with me since that day. 
Already being a sophomore in college, it has been interesting to see just how similar college kids are to high school kids, in their lack of sincerity and excessive use of sarcasm. Last night I had a couple jokes aimed thoughtlessly at me, and while I know they might not have meant to hurt me, in the end the remarks caused me to reconsider the way I conduct myself. This can be a bad thing, and while my friends would say they were “just joking” and tell me not think anything of it, i cant help but remember something I was confronted on a couple years ago. When they stated their jokes, while all in good fun, they didn't realize that I have been struggling with that specific quality for years. While sarcasm (most of the time) is meant as a joke, it can reflect what someone truly means. 

No comments:

Post a Comment