Friday, July 18, 2014

Delegation is KEY.


As I grow older and work with more people, I am realizing just how much of an impact my years in Student Council had on me. If there was one thing I learned from the time I spent in Student Council it would have to be the development of my delegation abilities. As the head of the decorations committee for three years in high school, it was very difficult to delegate those responsibilities to the younger students. 
Wanting everything to be perfect and set up correctly is something that comes naturally to me. I learned the first year that I cannot take control and watch every little thing be done(because I physically get overwhelmed). While I did get better at this as time went on, it wasn't until my Senior year that I had learned why delegation was so important. While it is important to delegate for your own(the leaders) sanity, it is also am opportunity to pass on what you know to others below you. If I hadn't been delegated to during my freshman, I wouldn't ever have gained the experience and confidence I needed. As a leader I had learned the importance of delegation for my own sanity's sake, I really feel like it was an awesome gift to be able to give the younger less-experienced students the opportunity to lead. 
While I had to accept that I couldn't do everything on my own, I also needed the people below me to be trained by the time I left the council so the excellence level wouldn't fade. In order to accept that you can’t handle everything on your own, it asking the leader to admit that they can not do everything on their own. If the leaders of a specific group do not allow  anyone else to try and have a go at leading, younger members will become uninterested and in the end this will result in the club’s demise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment