Thursday, July 3, 2014

More Than A Drink

Coffee is something we get with friends. It is something that is drank at the best and worst of times. In the last year I have, cried, laughed, stressed, relaxed, watched, and studied all with coffee in my hands. I love coffee. As I write this I am drinking...wait for it...COFFEE. The more I think about coffee the more I realize that it is a lot more than just a beverage.
Three years ago if you asked me if I liked coffee I would say "yes," but at that point I had no idea just how intense my passion would become in the future.
In the summer of 2011 I went on a trip to Israel and Italy. During the two months that I was gone, I came to the realization that the cultural coffee obsession isn't just in The United States, it is all over the world. In Jerusalem there are tiny coffee shops hidden within the walls of the Old City, and within those shops I had the opportunity to create friendships that will last a lifetime. When I got on the plane leaving Israel heading to Rome, I didn't know what to expect. The espresso bar in the McDonald's in the airport gave me a small taste of the culture that I had just stepped into. In Rome I learned the cultural significance of a good cappuccino, and the importance of the tiny spoon. I learned that it is okay to stop what you are doing, walk up to a coffee bar, drink some coffee, and keep on with what you were doing. Sitting down for just five minutes enjoying a conversation with the man next to you is completely normal, and the thought behind coffee shops.
When they were first coming into existence coffee shops brought separate classes together. They broke down walls and allowed people of separate backgrounds to communicate without the barriers that society had placed on them.
Coffee is so much more then a drink. It is a way of life. If we can all learn to look past how people appear, we will all be better off. The next time you are at a coffee shop working on homework, or even reading a book, take of your headphones, turn to the person next to you and converse. Who knows what you will learn. Happy drinking, and don't forget to enjoy the coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment